(credit to : http://www.tailgatestruts.com/gas-strut-fitting-mounting)
How to Fit & Remove Tailgate Struts
Band Type Ball Sockets
Removing and installing gas struts on your car is often a quick and simple job which does not require a mechanic.
If your gas struts have a ball and socket fittings then the only tools required are flat blade screwdriver and someone to hold the boot for you.
Look at the end of the gas strut for a rectangular plastic block with a metal band running around the back.
Some struts use metal fittings but the band will be in a similar position.
- Slide a flat head screwdriver down the groove along the back of the fitting and under the metal band.
- Lever the band back and pull on the gas strut to remove it from the car. You do not need to remove the band to do this – just lever it back.
- Your new gas struts will simply push fit back onto the ball studs.
Replacing car tailgate struts is a two person job.
Do not remove one strut and rely on the other to hold the tailgate.
Pin Type Ball Sockets
If your gas struts have a dome end fitting with a small metal pin –
- Unclip the pin from around the base of the fitting and totally remove it from the fitting.
- Once the pin is removed the gas strut can be pulled off, leaving the ball attached to the vehicle.
- To fit your new struts remove the pin, push fit them onto the ball stud and replace the pin.